What exercise really flattens your stomach? The answer is any exercise that flattens your stomach. If you can’t keep your stomach flat and drawn inward during your core work, then your core exercises are teaching your belly to stick OUT not pull IN.
So try this: Put your hands on your stomach and inhale, expanding your stomach gently. Then exhale, contracting your stomach inward, hollowing your belly-button under your rib cage. You just flexed your transverse abdominus (TA) which is like your “seatbelt” or “corset” muscle!
You might have hunched forward when you pulled your navel in, or you might have raised your shoulders or tightened your hips and thighs. Take another belly breath and try to flex inward on the exhale WITHOUT curving your spine and hunching. Once you’ve mastered that kind of bracing or vacuum motion, add some pulses.
Do the belly breath, but once you’ve exhaled, pull your belly inward deeper a few times. Work your way up to sets of 30-50, stopping when you feel fatigued in your lower back and deep core. The TA “transverses” your whole middle, originating in your lower back and connecting via the linea alba to your other ab muscles.The real beauty of this exercise is that it will prevent and reduce existing diastasis recti injuries, a common condition occurring in women post partum.
Swimsuit Ready Challenge
This exercise is part of our Swimsuit Ready Challenge (April 2-30, 2012). Do this exercise and comment below “I did this!” to be entered to win our $100 and $50 giveaways. You may enter up to one time per day through April 30th.
Also – be sure to share this on Facebook, Pinterest and other sites to let your friends cheer you on or – better yet – join in on the challenge so they can hang out on the beach with you this summer!
About the Author
This article was created with the help of FizzNiche Guest Bloggers. If you'd like your articles to appear on this site, come see the topics we're working on in the Fitness and Exercise category.
Subscribe to receive updates!
The Pretty Hard Work Store
- 18 May 2013Learn The Advantages Of Pilates
- 15 May 20138 More Quick Tips on How to Start a Physically Active Routine
- 14 May 2013Curb Your Cravings With Almost Heaven Almond Macaroons
- 30 Apr 2013Shaved Heads, Pride and Being Blissfully Grateful
- 26 Apr 2013Home Gym: Keep It Simple
- Dr. Len Lopez on Don’t Neglect Half Your Upper Body – Try Inverted Pull-ups!
- samac on How to Fuel Your Workout
- Tony Nguyen on 4 Tips for Those Who Can’t Stop Sweating After a Workout
- Quick Start Morning Workout | Iron Mountain Pilates & Movement Ltd. on Quick Start Morning Workout
- Where to Find Motivation to Exercise | Pretty Hard Work « Try Wellness on For Size on Where to Find Motivation to Exercise