Kettle Bell Swings for Superior Leg Strength
Kettlebells are the ideal tool for training total body fitness and functional strength. Training the body as a unit, instead of isolated muscle groups will develop explosive hip drive and improve lower body strength.
Start your training with the kettlebell swing. Keep in mind the legs and hips, not the arms or upper body are used to propel the kettlebell through the swing. Power is created by driving through the heels, using the large muscles of the lower body including the quads, glutes, hamstrings and core.
Begin in a standing position with feet shoulder width apart, chest up, shoulders back and down, core flexed, back arched (not rounded) with a slight knee bend, and weight distributed to the heels of your feet.
- Grip the kettlebell with both hands over top of the handle.
- Sink into a squat with the weight between the legs. Keep the torso upright, the abs braced and the arms loose. At the bottom of the movement shift your weight back onto your heels.
- Standing up from the squatted position, use your hips to propel the weight to hip level.
- Engaging the hips and core, swing the weight up higher until you reach shoulder level. Focus on using your hips and legs to move the weight, rather than your arms.
When you begin kettlebell training, it is a good idea to practice kettlebell swings in addition to your normal workouts. Then, when you are comfortable with the movements begin to increase weight and attempt a more difficult kettlebell exercise routine.
When you have perfected the swing form, try this workout.
2 rounds, 30 seconds each
Body Weight Squat
Arm Circles (forward /backward, large/small)
Alternate Lunge (each leg)
20x Kettlebell Swing
20x Dumbbell Plank Row
20x Dumbbell Squat and Press
Rest @ 30 sec max.
These kettlebell exercises are Pretty Hard Work. Make sure you are watching your form and if you need assistance ask the trainer on duty at your gym.
What action steps have you taken to day to prepare yourself for beach season?
About the Author
This article was created with the help of FizzNiche Guest Bloggers. If you'd like your articles to appear on this site, come see the topics we're working on in the Fitness and Exercise category.
Subscribe to receive updates!
The Pretty Hard Work Store
- 18 May 2013Learn The Advantages Of Pilates
- 15 May 20138 More Quick Tips on How to Start a Physically Active Routine
- 14 May 2013Curb Your Cravings With Almost Heaven Almond Macaroons
- 30 Apr 2013Shaved Heads, Pride and Being Blissfully Grateful
- 26 Apr 2013Home Gym: Keep It Simple
- Dr. Len Lopez on Don’t Neglect Half Your Upper Body – Try Inverted Pull-ups!
- samac on How to Fuel Your Workout
- Tony Nguyen on 4 Tips for Those Who Can’t Stop Sweating After a Workout
- Quick Start Morning Workout | Iron Mountain Pilates & Movement Ltd. on Quick Start Morning Workout
- Where to Find Motivation to Exercise | Pretty Hard Work « Try Wellness on For Size on Where to Find Motivation to Exercise