Today’s strength training exercise comes to us from our Premium Guest Blogger, Lando. He shares a sequence of exercises that will strengthen our arms and shoulders, beautifying our upper body for swimsuit season!
3 to 1 Contact – Make Those Arms and Shoulders Strong
This works great for arms, shoulders and chest. It’s called 3 to 1.
For arms – let’s start with the biceps. This is a regular bicep curl, however, instead of fluidly going through the motion – you should slow the lift to a count of three. Keeping your elbows locked to your sides (so that they don’t swing forward as you lift), lift the weights as you slowly count a beat of 1, 2, 3. By the time you reach 3, you should be at the top of the bicep curl. Then lower it for a count of 1 and start again. Do this for a set of 15 reps and you should feel a significant burn.
For triceps – you can do this as an overhead tricep pull. Start with the weight above your head with the feet shoulder width apart and the knees slightly bent to protect your lower back. Lower the weight between your shoulder blades, keeping the elbows as close together as possible. Then slowly lift the weight for that same count of 3 seconds or beats as you did for the bicep curl. Again, a set of 15 reps should provide an excellent burn. This can be done with 1 or 2 weights.
For shoulders - I would recommend a military press. Start with weights in each hand. Frame your head by bending your elbows so your arms are at perfect 90 degree angles surrounding your head. This is your starting and stopping point. Slowly count to 3 as you lift the weights over your head bringing the weights together at the top. Lower back to the 90 degrees around your head for a count of 1 and repeat. Do a set of 15 reps for a good shoulder burn.
What action step have you taken today to get ready for the rapidly approaching summer season?
About the Author
This article was created with the help of FizzNiche Guest Bloggers. If you'd like your articles to appear on this site, come see the topics we're working on in the Fitness and Exercise category.
Subscribe to receive updates!
The Pretty Hard Work Store
- 18 May 2013Learn The Advantages Of Pilates
- 15 May 20138 More Quick Tips on How to Start a Physically Active Routine
- 14 May 2013Curb Your Cravings With Almost Heaven Almond Macaroons
- 30 Apr 2013Shaved Heads, Pride and Being Blissfully Grateful
- 26 Apr 2013Home Gym: Keep It Simple
- Dr. Len Lopez on Don’t Neglect Half Your Upper Body – Try Inverted Pull-ups!
- samac on How to Fuel Your Workout
- Tony Nguyen on 4 Tips for Those Who Can’t Stop Sweating After a Workout
- Quick Start Morning Workout | Iron Mountain Pilates & Movement Ltd. on Quick Start Morning Workout
- Where to Find Motivation to Exercise | Pretty Hard Work « Try Wellness on For Size on Where to Find Motivation to Exercise