Tone Your Tummy
Toned trim abs help you look great and feel great. Your abdominal muscles wrap around your torso from back to front, supporting your back and organs while also pulling your waistline in like a natural internal corset.
Crunches are not the most effective way to work your abs, and in fact can cause your abdominal muscles to build up and out, instead of pulling in. This simple criss-cross exercise is an extremely effective way to work abdominal strength, tone, and endurance.
Lie supine on your back on a mat or blanket, with your knees bent, feet on the mat hip distance apart, and hands under your head. Bring both knees up and into a tabletop position with abs in, tailbone down, and thighs squeezing together. On an exhale, curl your upper body up to the bottom tips of your shoulder blades making sure to keep a space between chin and chest. Feel your ribs pull in towards your waistline and hips. Breathe as you need to.
Without moving your hips at all, rotate your head and ribs to the right, reaching towards your right knee. Come back to center and reverse to the left. Stop in the center each time and make sure you stay up in your abs with your hips down and steady. Do 3-6 in each direction and rest. Repeat 1-2 times, every other day and you will be ready for swimsuit season in no time!
Swimsuit Ready Challenge
This exercise is part of our Swimsuit Ready Challenge (April 2-30, 2012). Do this exercise and comment below “I did this!” to be entered to win our $100 and $50 giveaways. You may enter up to one time per day through April 30th.
Also – be sure to share this on Facebook, Pinterest and other sites to let your friends cheer you on or – better yet – join in on the challenge so they can hang out on the beach with you this summer!
About the Author
This article was created with the help of FizzNiche Guest Bloggers. If you'd like your articles to appear on this site, come see the topics we're working on in the Fitness and Exercise category.
Subscribe to receive updates!
The Pretty Hard Work Store
- 19 Jun 2013Is Your New Diet a Healthy Lifestyle Choice or Just a Fad?
- 17 Jun 2013Quick Workout Routines for Busy People
- 10 Jun 2013Dance To Your Health!
- 07 Jun 2013Instant Flat Belly Strategies
- 05 Jun 2013When Exercise Becomes Too Much Of A Good Thing
- Damien Johnson on When Exercise Becomes Too Much Of A Good Thing
- Lyn Hicks on Enjoying Your Workout Is Part of a Woman’s Key to Health
- 8 More Quick Tips on How to Start a Physically Active Routine | Pretty Hard Work on 7 Quick Tips on How to Start a Physically Active Routine
- Chris on Apple Pie Smoothie Recipe
- Dr. Len Lopez on Don’t Neglect Half Your Upper Body – Try Inverted Pull-ups!